Is it just me, or are people much less "smiley" these days?? I don't know if it was the way I was raised, or just the type of person that I am, but I smile a lot. So when I am out and about, if I happen to make eye contact with a person, I smile at them. Do you want to know what happens 9 out of 10 times? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. People will stare back at me as if I have just escaped from the loony bin. It makes me want to ask them, in my best Heath Ledger playing the joker impersonation: "Why so serious?"

Is there something wrong with smiling at people you meet or run into? Is it so hard when someone smiles at you to smile back? I think smiles are infectious, but obviously, I am one of the minority in that department.
So here's my tip/advice/whatever for the day: smile more. Don't wait for someone to smile at you, be the first to smile at them.
(Does anyone else notice this, or is it really just me? Please tell me. My sanity depends upon your answer.)
7 comments:
Maybe it's just you, lol. Just kidding. Actually, my number rating is more like 5 out of 10. When I smile at someone most of them smile back. If someone smiles at me, I always smile back. Why not! We definitely need more smiles out there.
You're spot on, people do seem to smile less these days. I smiled at a lady while I was working and she looked stunned and said how nice it was to be smiled at. I thought that was such a funny thing but apparently I am not the only one :D
I thought it was like an unwritten rule that if you make eye contact with someone you have to smile. I will always smile back even if im in a bad mood.
I know exactly what you mean!! People just dont seem very happy now-a-days. It is kind of sad.
I totally agree, what's up wth people?! I always smile at people and then they just give you this look like your making fun of them or something. Sometimes I'll get people that smile back but the majority don't.
I agree! I need to smile more myself, but like you said, a lot of the time when you smile at people they look at you like you're crazy!
I totally agree!! I think it's more of a problem in the desert (and California) than anywhere else I've been. but I did actually get a "hi" from someone yesterday! I almost fell over.
Try this though: wave at people when you're driving by. That will really get the stares!!! When we drive through neighborhoods and there are people outside, I always wave... they look at me like I've lost my mind! Where I grew up, we waved at everyone, but it was more rural.
Also, when we did our 2-week road trip in the Spring, people were most friendly in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Says something about a slower pace of life, huh?
Keep smiling!
Post a Comment