Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why a Daughter Needs a Dad


I bought this book, Why A Daughter Needs A Dad by Gregory E. Lang, on a whim one day. I went through the book and highlighted some special lines, and wrote a few things in there, personalizing it for my husband. Then I wrote a letter from our daughter to him and pasted it on the front inside page. It read:

December 2009

Dear Daddy,

I am only 2 years old, so sometimes it is hard to express myself to you. If I could tell you the words that are always running around in my head, this is what they would sound like:


I love you. You are my daddy and just for that reason alone, I love you. But I also love you for the things you do. I love you for working so hard and letting mommy stay home with me. I love you for spinning me around whenever I ask you to, even though it makes your tummy hurt sometimes. I love you for playing with me and making me laugh. I love you for teaching me to be tough, but also for caring when something really does hurt. I love for taking me to play in nursery and staying in the room with me because I don’t want you to leave. I love you for loving mommy, and teaching me what a happy marriage looks like. I love you for letting me ride on your shoulders, even though I’m getting heavier all the time. I love you for letting me take naps in your bed sometimes because there are times when I just don’t want to be away from you. I love you for giving me kisses while I’m asleep sometimes (I know you don’t think I noticed, but I do). I love you for teaching me about Jesus. I remember Him, but I can’t talk about Him to you or mommy. I love you for being patient with me. Sometimes I try really hard to be good, but other times it’s hard and I love you for understanding that. I love you for taking me outside to play and teaching me how to squish bugs with my foot.


Most of all, I just love you for being my daddy, and I always will. You teach me new things everyday and I miss you when you aren’t around. So next time I do something I am not supposed to, just remember that I’m trying. I love you daddy. Always have. Always will.

Love,

Your Daughter, Peyton Brooke





This is going to be part of my Christmas gift to him. I sure hope he likes it.





Photobucket

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Like it? He's going to freaking LOVE it!! That's such a cute and thoughtful gift! I bet it will be one of his favorites!

Angela said...

He will love it! I am the biggest daddy's girl ever and I bought that same book to give to my dad when I get married. Your letter made me cry. :-D

Kerr Family said...

That is very sweet. He will love it!

Greg said...

Thanks so much for giving my book as a gift! It makes me smile to see how you've personalized it. Merry Christmas!

Gregory E. Lang

Rays-R-Us said...

That made me cry! That was so beautiful. I've seen this book many times and have "almost" bought it every time. Now, I'm going to go buy it for sure. Thank you for sharing this :)

Kurt+Amy said...

That is so dang cute! You have such creative ideas! I bet he cried. :)