Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Worst Meal

I have to be honest: I don't think I am the best cook. I cook to feed my family, but I try to use the smallest amount of time and effort possible. (Now desserts are another story...) After saying that, I think the food I do make tastes good. And when people come over, I try to put my best food foot forward and put a lot more time and energy into making things good.

All of that led me to this thought: what is the worse meal I have ever had? There was really only one that popped into my mind... and it wasn't one that I made.

The first 6 months of my marriage, we lived in a small apartment, not too close but not too far from family. We also lived off of burnt meals and new experiments, seeing as I was not experienced in the kitchen. So when some neighbors in our apartment complex (who also happened to go to church with us) invited us over for dinner, we happily agreed.

To be nice, it was pretty awkward. We made small talk, but this couple was (for the lack of a better word) different. Very nice, but just with different interests and ideas.

This sweet woman then told us that she had pulled out all the stops and that this was the best meal that she makes and that she had even made homemade blueberry sorbet. So despite the face that we weren't a very well-matched foursome, we could do with some good food and filled out plates well. That would then be our downfall...

Orange chicken. I had eaten it before at one of our favorite Chinese fast food place, and I loved it. Never before had I tasted orange chicken like this. It was disgusting. I literally had to use all the will power my body could muster not to gag or make faces. Now I was really regretting putting so much on my plate. With one sideways glance at my husband, I could tell he felt the same way.

It took a lot of kool-aid and almost puking to finish that meal. Just when I thought our ordeal was over, out comes this frozen blueberry mush. That was equally as hard to swallow.

We did it, and we survived. And even thought we promised to return the favor and have them over, we never did. I think we learned something that night as well: how to perfect our poker faces.



Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yucky! I had a similar experience with home cooked Chinese at a friend's house . . . only I bet it was good, I was just too pregnant sick to enjoy it. But I tried my best to be polite. Gotta love those awkward couple get-togethers - it kind of feels like a bad blind date, doesn't it?

Kristen said...

Awwww how funny! At least you guys were good sports! All your recipes look so good, I'm sure your a fine cook- plus you're still learning to cook for a family and not just yourself. My BF's sister just told me about some show "5 Items or Less" or something where everything she makes only uses 5 ingredients. I'm gonna check it out, I'll let you know if it's good.

April and Jason said...

lol, that made me laugh...I bet it was complete torture at the time though! It was nice seeing you today

Rays-R-Us said...

That is too funny. Let's hope that lady doesn't somehow read this blog of yours :) Now at least you can say your burnt meals are still better than that one huh? No complaints from the hubby for the rest of your life... that actually sounds like a good plan. Where can I find one of those couples around here? LOL

Kerr Family said...

This is funny. I don't think we have ever been in this situation...although, on a flip side, we invited a couple to our house for dinner. I made Manicotti. I have made it before but I was experimenting with a new sauce...big mistake. It was terrible. I felt so bad. It was Jill and Noah Windsor. We had a really good time with them. I think we had a lot in common...but dinner was terrible and I felt bad all night. What an aweful time to experiment. For some reason I don't learn my lesson because I tend to experiment on people we invite over. Since I told you that....if you guys ever come over for dinner, I PROMISE not to experiment on you....ha ha ha.