Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oh the (un) joys of packing

I don't know about anyone else, but growing up, we didn't move. I mean, when I was 2 years old and an only child we moved, but I can't remember that so it doesn't count. Ever since then, my family stayed in the same house for 17 years! So mind you, I haven't had much experience packing up and moving.

The first time I "moved" was from my family's house into an apartment with my new hubby. I had stuff, but not very much at the time. Then 6 months later, we moved from our tiny one bedroom to a nice 2-bedroom and we have been here 2 months shy of 2 years. (Whoa, too many two's). Anyhoo, so now I am packing and it is most definitely not fun.

First of all, I keep trying to pack things we won't need to get into for a week. Doesn't work. I pack something, and then realize I need it. Talk about a pain in the butt. Secondly, it seems that no matter how much you stuff or cram, when you are trying to be organized and have boxes with only a certain type of item, there is always something leftover. Something that ends up in one of those unorganized miscellaneous boxes and I DON'T LIKE IT! It makes it almost impossible to pack too far ahead of time. So much for being ahead of the game...we'll probably just end up in a packing frenzy on Friday anyways.

For all of you who have had more moving experience than I have...any tips? They would be much appreciated. Now where did I put my phone...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ughh...I feel your pain. We have moved three times since we have been married, and it is no fun. In the end it will be worth it, but untill then, hang in there! :)
---April

Jodi Jean said...

word ... packing is no fun. especially with a young baby! i did it when aidan was 3 months. you just try to pack what you can, some of the clothes, some of the dishes (and then you use paper) etc. i don't know you have to do what feels right for you, but there is always a frenzy at the end no matter what. i tried to be organized, but it comes faster than it should. we'll see. maybe it might be easier next time we move (probably not, we've spread out since we got the house and it seems like our junk has multiplied and had junk babies!!)

Kurt+Amy said...

Yeah I am so used to moving it's not even funny! You don't even want to know how many times my family moved when I was younger! But it's NEVER fun! The packing is always a nightmare and always a crazy frenzy near the end! No matter what u do you'll always have the odd items that just get stuffed in a box that was compatible. Just grin and bear it! LOL! So easy to say but not so easy to do! Luv you!