Monday, August 31, 2009

Book Review Monday - Week 28

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

My rating: 5 stars

Description: Audrey Niffenegger's bestselling novel has a fantastical concept--a man who involuntarily travel through time and his wife--but for all its strangeness, its true power lies in its ability to make the reader feel the force of the characters' love and the depth of their tragedies. Henry DeTamble suffers from a genetic condition called Chrono-Displacement that causes him to unexpectedly slip backwards or forwards in time, appearing completely ****** at times and places with special significant to his life. As a result, he has visited his wife Clare many times during her childhood, so when she finally meets him at the age of 20 she already knows much about his personality and their life together in the future--he, however, does not know who she is because his time traveling episodes have not happened yet. Sly charming magic of this sort infuses the novel with a kind of dreamy wondrousness. More importantly, the time-traveling acts as a marvelous metaphor for the nature of love, how it changes, how it's constantly impacted by the events of the past, and the promises of the future

My review: LOVE LOVE LOVED this book. So amazing. Everytime I would have to pause in my reading, I would call my husband or just go to him and hug him. It made me appreciate him and love him so much more. It is a heartbreaking story, but so worth the time and sadness to read. Seriously, I cried but it was a good cry.



Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I read it for the first time a few years ago and have read it several more times since then!

The movie that just came out is extremely well done right up until the end. They had the gall to change the ending. Tsk. And it wasn't a change for the better.

Kerr Family said...

This sounds really good. I HATE sad stories but you really have me interested. Hummmm....maybe I'll check it out. It does sound really good.

Anonymous said...

I have been debating reading this book since the movie came out. You've helped me decide to read it! :)

Rays-R-Us said...

We almost went to see this movie last week, but the advertised times were wrong from the actual time so we skipped it. The previews make it look really good. I didn't know there was a book. Maybe I'll read that first! Something for me to do while I wait for Miss Annie!!! :)

Kristen said...

I just finished the book yesterday! I really liked it, some of the smaller items in the book (such as some of the sex) weren't to my liking, but I would recommend the book overall. I saw the movie as well and really liked it too. I'm telling you, we need to start a book club!

Kristen said...

I just finished the book yesterday! I really liked it, some of the smaller items in the book (such as some of the sex) weren't to my liking, but I would recommend the book overall. I saw the movie as well and really liked it too. I'm telling you, we need to start a book club!