I just had a demonstration on how to make this last week and it was so easy and so yummy! I never even thought about making creme brulee on my own because I always thought it was hard. Not so!
Vanilla Creme Brulee (recipe courtesy of my friend L.M.)
Custard:
5 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Crust:
1/4 cup sugar, divided
Preheat oven to 350*. Whip egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add cream and sugar while mixing. Add the vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Place 4 large or 6 medium ramekins or custard cups in a baking dish. Divide the custard between them. Pour warm water around the dishes to come just over halfway up the sides. Then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the custards are golden brown, just set with a little softness in the center.
Leave the dishes to cool in the water, then lift them out and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
Just before serving, sprinkle with sugar and caramelize using a torch.*
*If you don't have a torch you can caramelize in the broiler for 3-10 minutes, just be sure to check often! You don't want to heat up the custard, only brown the top.
1 comment:
Thank you so much for this recipe. I LOVE Creme Brule but I don't have a torch. I didn't know you could use the broiler. Guess what I am going to be making as soon as I get the ingredients. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a ton for the recipe!
Post a Comment