Monday, October 26, 2009

Book Review Monday - Week 35, 36 and 37

In the Woods by Tana French

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary:
When Dublin Det. Rob Ryan is asked to investigate a murder, he is shocked to realize that it took place in the same woods where two of his friends disappeared some 20 years earlier.

My review: Interesting is the best word I can use to describe this book. Not really like anything else I've read. I would have given it a much higher rating except for the fact that you don't find out whatever happened to Detective Ryan. The case he is working on gets solved, but you never find out what happened 20 years previous when he entered the woods, and that was the whole reason I read the book! It took me quite awhile to read this book because I had to stay super focused otherwise I got lost.


The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


My rating: 5 stars

Summary:
Susie Salmon was murdered in 1973, and, from her perch in heaven, she tells the story of what happened to her, watches her family back on earth as they go about their grief-stricken lives, and describes what it's like to be a kid in heaven.

My review:
I thought this book was excellent. I love the way that Susie describes her heaven and how it is always changing. This book is also being made into a movie and will be coming out in January 2010 (directed by Peter Jackson!). Go here for more details.

The Box by Richard Matheson


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary:
What if every time you pushed a button you received $50,000...but someone you didn’t know died? Would you still push the button? How many times? "Button, Button", which inspired a memorable Twilight Zone episode, is just one of a dozen unforgettable tales in this new collection by Richard Matheson, the New York Times bestselling author of I Am Legend and What Dreams May Come. This volume contains a number of stories that were adapted for television, as well as a new introduction by Matheson himself.

My review: This is actually a book of short stories and I found them all very...weird. Most of them I didn't really understand the point that was trying to be made, but I found them interesting nonetheless. My favorite one is the first story called "Button, Button." Based on these few pages, they are making a movie which comes out next week on November 6th and stars Cameron Diaz and James Marsden. Go here for more information. I'm curious to see how they took this short story and added enough details to make it into a movie.



Photobucket

5 comments:

Nicole Shelby said...

I haven't read any of those books - I'll need to look into them! Thanks for sharing!

Kristi said...

Yay! You're back to blogging!

Kerr Family said...

I haven't read any of these books either. I was sort of interested in the first one but your review was sort of hesitant so now I'm thinking I may not read it. I was also interested in the movie the Box and was thinking of reading the book. Knowing it's a short story...I don't know....but maybe I will. Thanks for the reviews. We are almost at 52 weeks. Think you'll continue? I think I may have finished my 52 books already BUT...I love reading so much I'm still reading more.

Courtney Davey said...

I really enjoyed The Lovely Bones. You may also enjoy Lucky as well.

Kristen said...

i'm waiting to borrow lovely bones from my bf's sister, the box sounds interesting, and thanks for the heads up on in the woods. that kills me when you don't find something out!