Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recipe Thursday

Chicken and Dumplings (from the kitchen of Rocks in my Dryer)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tbsp. Crisco
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
2 cups celery
1 cup onion, chopped
at least 4 cups chicken broth (I used 6 cups when I made it)

Bring broth to a boil; drop in chicken, celery and onion. In a separate bwol, mix together first 6 ingredients. Roll dough flat. slice into whatever size/shapre you prefer (I like half-inch-by-hlaf-inch squares). Drop into boiling broth. Allow to simmer until dough is cooked through, usually about 15-20 minutes.

This reminds me of my Grandma Anita's chicken and dumplings, but hers are much better! Love you, Grandma!!

2 comments:

Holly S. said...

Thanks, I love chicken & dumplings. I can't wait to try the receipe.

Kerr Family said...

I love chicken & dumplings...although, this isn't as soupy as I'm used too...but still looks really good.