Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Food Issues


I have one normal weight son and one underweight daughter. My son is pickier than my daughter. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Have any of you ever dealt with having an underweight child? I know nowadays it seems that people and doctors are more concerned about kids being overweight, but being underweight isn't great either. I'm not even sure how to go about helping her gain weight without damaging her relationship with food! (Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated).

I always knew that Peyton was destined to be tall and thin. (Her dad is 6'4'' and only 145 pounds so she totally inherited his body type). But is there something I can do about it? My main concern is getting her to gain some weight without giving her any kind of body or food issues. Just like if I was dealing with an overweight child. I wouldn't tell them they needed to be on a diet or tell them they couldn't eat certain things because they were too fat.

My husband gets a lot of people who tell him he is "so skinny." Now while most people might take that as a compliment, the way people go about it is just as rude as if they were to say to an overweight person that he/she is "so fat." Let's not forget that it goes both ways people!!


Anyway, I am just rambling on, but if anyone has any suggestions, I will take them. I have already gone back to whole milk with her (even though she'll be 4 soon). And I am also not really concerned about it, but it couldn't hurt for her to have a couple extra pounds on her either. After all, it's getting to be wintertime and those skinny people sure get cold easy :)



Photobucket

7 comments:

Monica said...

You were a twig when you where her age too. I think to try the Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks with whole milk. Not that she might gain weight, but at least she will be getting some nutrition that her body needs. Love you!!

Kristi said...

As long as she is eating well I don't think you should worry too much at this point. I have a niece who had the same problem and the doctor said that it was not an issue unless they stop eating well.

Laurel said...

I was always underweight and my pediatrician tried all kinds of things on me. Including prescribing ice cream with every meal for a while. None of it ever made me gain an ounce! But, I was always perfectly healthy.

Now, my kids are all underweight too, but besides giving them whole milk still, I don't do anything about it. I think its a futile effort, they are genetically destined to be skinny kids.

As long as they have energy to run and dance and play, I think they are at just the right weight for them.

Kristen said...

i understand your concern, totally. some of the kids in my family are also underweight, but knowing your husband's slim physique, i wouldn't be too concerned about it. as long as you make sure she eats healthy and takes care of her body by choosing good foods and staying healthy and active i think you're in the gold!

April and Jason said...

i dont think there are any issues as long as she is getting all her nutrients. Wesley used to be pretty chunky as a baby, but he has become pretty skinny, and really hasn't grown too much in the last year...he is getting taller, but thinning out. I give him toddler formula once a day just to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he might be missing out on. I think some people are just lucky, and have high metabolisms, and will be under the norm no matter how much they eat! There is a difference between skinny, and malnourished, and she is definitely healthy!

Unknown said...

So I actually have a post, on my blog. About this very subject. I was so frustrated with people informing me how small Sydney was. I was breast feeding, so I felt so inadequate. I knew she was eating enough, due to all her wet/dirty diapers. My doctor gave me some of the best advice. He said he does not really like the whole "percentile" charts. He said kids will grow, at their own pace. I had to learn to smile, and nod my head, when people would impose their opinions on me.
One piece of advice I was given, to help fatten her up was to add oil in things. Weird, I know. My Dr. said just put in mac & chz, or any pasta.

Adri said...

I was going to say to add whole milk, but you already thought of that. I wouldn't worry. Maybe she will just be thin until she gains that pre-puberty weight that everyone gets at like 10. I'm glad that you are being conscious not to give her body issues, too. But hey, If I were going to have one small kid and one big one, I'd rather have the boy be big and the girl be small, right? So good job giving the right genes to the right person. :)