Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Recipe Book



I used to have an index card file for all of my recipes. But when I would get new recipes to add, I always wanted them to be uniform with all of my other ones, which mean I would take a long time to write it out nice and neatly. Then a lot of the time I would end up using a recipe (or not using it) and not liking it, so I threw it away, wasting time and supplies.

So I changed my strategy and typed up all the recipes I have onto a word document. I separated the recipes into categories of ingredients and purpose. So first are my main dishes, then they are categorized into Chicken, Ground Beef, Pasta and Misc. (which includes pork chops, Italian sausage, etc.) Then the categories are Side Dishes, Breakfast, Dips, Soups, Breads, Beverages, Cookies, and Desserts. I save this and I can easily add to, erase and re-print as needed. I then put the pages in sheet protectors (to protect from spills in the kitchen) and put them into a binder! Instant, personal recipe book.

I've even gone so far as to go through recipe books and only pull out ones I would like to use and then give those away to save me space.

If you would like a copy of my recipe book word document, please leave youe e-mail address in a comment or e-mail me at cnahorvath [at] yahoo [dot] com

For more tips, check out We Are THAT Family!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Kristen said...

That's a great idea. I use a word doc for all of the great recipes I find on other blogs. As I print them, I start a new one (I use the very original titles "blog recipes" 1, 2, 3 etc). I keep them in those cheap folders that go on sale every August for 5 cents at Staples and put some sort of label on the front so I know what is where.

Kerr Family said...

I do something similar too. I made a family cookbook a few years ago. I got recipes from Kelly's family and added pictures of whose recipe it was. The kids love it and then I have a recipe that goes with them. I am adding more of my own recipes (to just mine) of my keepers...all done in word. Works out great and the kids love looking at the pictures. I would love some of your recipes!

Kristen said...

oooh me please!! i would love to start a recipe book! i have nearly nothing so far in mine!
anderson.kristenlynn@yahoo.com

Christy said...

I would love to have your recipe book. THat would help me get organized. Thanks!! Christy
tkoontz2@triad.rr.com

Corinne & Tyler Craig said...

I would lOVE a copy!!! I always see your food pictures and wish i could copy them haha. email it to me sweetiepie22274@yahoo.com