Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Running and Walking

The youth in our stake are preparing to go on an authentic Pioneer Trek this July for Youth Conference. Unfortunately, Chris and I were not asked to go. I think it will be an awesome experience for the adults and youth that go. They are going to have to take their belongings in actual handcarts, dress up the way the pioneers did and everything!

But on to my point. So as they are preparing for this trek, they have to do some training hikes. There are a certain number they have to complete in order to be able to go on the trek. Last night was one such training hike. We walked on Euclid from Foothill until the fire station (I believe it was about 3 miles). We had planned to walk back but it got to dark before we could. I wanted to go for the exercise, since I am not going on the trek, I didn't really have to. Well I know the middle of Euclid is not paved or anything so I opted not to take the stroller and to carry Peyton in a front pack I had all the way up.

You are probably expecting me to say big mistake.

It was actually a good experience for me. It definitely was not easy, and made me just that much more motivated to get in better shape. But she slept for part of it and when she was awake, she was just looking around and being the good girl she always is.
Now, at first, I had talked to Chris and told him that I would carry her the majority of the way but if I really needed him to, if he could take her. Well, as I was walking and talking, I looked up ahead and saw a couple of people at the very front of our group, running.

"Oh geez, who are those show-offs?" I had said.
"One is your husband."

Oops. Well, so much for him helping me if I got tired! I basically had no choice but to carry Peyton the whole way. And there at the top to greet me, who had already been sitting there for a half an hour, was my husband.

I was so tempted to be mad at him, but I pushed that aside. He told me later that he ran on purpose. He said he knew that I could carry her the whole way, but if he was there with me, it would have been so much easier to have just let him take her. But he knew I could do it and he ran so he could give me the chance.

What a great guy. He is always pushing me and helping me to do things when I think I can't do them. I am indeed lucky.

2 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

oh how fun. i wish i was still in the stake. i know my parents are going and it sounds like it will be a great experience for everyone who goes.

hehe, hubbys who push ya to your limit. you go girl. theres no way i could walk 3 miles with aidan strapped to me (although the kid is freakin' huge, solid as a rock!!)

Kurt+Amy said...

Good Job Manders! He knows like we all know that u can do it! Cute! And man the church should so do one of those pioneer things for the adults! Sounds pretty cool! Luv ya girl!