Monday, February 20, 2012

Why?

Is anyone else in the "why?" stage with their kids? Or remember it very well?

My 4-year old has recently been asking the Why? question. A. LOT.

While we're watching a movie:
"Mom, why is she singing?"
"Mom, why is she laying in the grass?"
"Mom, why did she fall out of the tower?"
(We were watching Tangled, by the way)

And then there is always the Why? that inevitably comes when I ask her to do something.
"Mom, why do I have to pick this up?"
"Mom, why do you need that?"
"Mom, why can't you do it?"

And lastly, there are the Why? questions that just come throughout the day:
"Mom, why do I have to brush my teeth?"
"Mom, why can't I eat marshmallows for breakfast?"
"Mom, why do I have to share with Damon?"

I'm sure you get the point. It's never ending. And of course, some of my answers end up being "I don't know" or "Because I said so."

But I do try my best to answer most of her questions (I have been working on my patience, and this is excellent practice).

I just heard some great advice, and if it's something I think she already knows or can figure out herself, I am going to start asking her why SHE thinks it's that way.

Any other suggestions/tips about this stage?

Photobucket

1 comment:

Karly Michelsen said...

Lyla and Lacee do that...I try to give them the real explanation even if it takes some time instead of saying something like "because". I figure if I explain it to them then they won't ask the same question again...lol