Friday, July 22, 2011

Which side are you on?

I've been thinking about beds this past week (not like that! Get your mind out of the gutter). Mostly I've been thinking about them because I have been in mine all by myself this week. My hubby is off on a trip with the young men in our ward.

I noticed that there are 3 different ways you can approach being in a bed all by yourself (when normally you share it with someone).


The first is the way I do it. I stay on my side the whole time, even though I have the whole bed to myself.

The second way is you could creep over to the other side and sleep in your significant others spot for a few nights.

The last way would be that you could sprawl out and relish in the fact that you have the WHOLE bed to lay on.


So which way do you sleep?


This also reminded me a bit of parenting. There are 3 ways that you can approach parenting.


You can do what you think is right and good, no matter what your spouse says.


You can do what your spouse thinks is right, no matter what you think about it.


Or you can do a little bit of both and combine your parenting styles.


I like the 3rd approach best, of course. I think children can benefit so much from different parenting styles. Every person is raised differently, so every one will have a different approach. It might be hard if it's not something you're used to, but try to give your partner the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Hey, who knows? Their approach might turn out to work better than yours!

So while I may stay on my own side of the bed, I definitely am trying to let my hubby in on the whole parenting thing. After all, how does that saying go? It takes a village....


Photobucket

3 comments:

Caity said...

I'm def the one that takes over the MIDDLE o the bed... I put every pillow around me and sink on in... until my two yr old decides to jump in bed and then it's back to my side cuz he takes over the whole king sized bed.... I still am amazed by that fact. and parenting is always a double teamed effort in this household

Courtney Davey said...

I think my answer is #4 you can't sleep at all without them there.

Kerr Family said...

I am one that stays on my own side too. I just can't seem to sleep on his side. Although, I have Noticed the longer he's away the more I do tend to creep on into the middle day by day. I start off on my side but end up in the middle.

As for parenting...I believe that when parents don't agree on parenting they generally have a strained marriage. My SIL and BIL don't agree at all. My SIL believes in no punishment where my BIL feels kids should have consequences. They fight a ton. Thankfully Kelly and I feel the same about parenting and discipline. We are equal in parenting and support each other even when we disagree with the discipline. As long as you support each other in front of the kids you can never go wrong. Scold your husband for being to harsh in front of your kids encourages them to run to you, undermine the other spouse and encourages the bad behavior. But it is important to talk to your spouse when you don't agree at a tine when the kids aren't there. Okay, over explaining. You get my point.