Monday, July 9, 2007

A Receptionist's Worst Nightmare

As a receptionist, I believe that people are generally nice and patient. There are always exceptions to the rule and every so often, a rude person will surface.
Never before in my 20 1/2 years of life have I ever encountered someone like I did today.
After lunch, I get a call from a woman who is basically soliciting and trying to talk to someone to sell their product to. At my company, to avoid these sales calls, they have implemented a policy that will not allow me to transfer the person unless they know the name of the person they want to speak to. Well, this woman had no such name. So I kindly told her "I am sorry but I cannot transfer you unless you have the name of the person you would like to speak to" and she proceeds to tell me "Well, I don't have a name and that is why I am calling." I again told her I was sorry but it was company policy and she hung up on me. OK, all done, right? Wrong.
I get a call a minute later and I can tell it is the same woman because the background noise is exactly the same. She waits for me to answer, then hangs up. OK, great. But she wasn't finished. She calls back again and when I answer simply says "Wa-wa" and hangs up.
Now to make this story shorter than my ordeal, for the next 2 hours, this woman continued to call and at first, simply hang up on me and then she would call and stay on the line, but not say anything. I told my boss, and the next time this lady called, my boss answered it for me. The woman didn't respond and my boss said "OK, let's use the caller ID and call her supervisor." She promptly hung up.
I finally thought it was over...she didn't call for about 45 minutes. Next thing I know, she is calling again but this time it sounds like she is no longer at work but on a cell phone. Are you kidding me? What kind of person does this? Finally, after a few more phone calls and waiting on the line, she actually responds.
"I keep calling and you keep hanging up on me, so I would like to speak to your manager."
"OK, can I have your name please?" (Again, another company policy. I need to have the name of the person calling in order to transfer them, otherwise the person they are calling will not take the call.
"I am not giving you my name."
"Well then I am sorry, but I am not able to transfer the call" Click, she hangs up on me.

Again, she calls, and this time, she is mad.
"You b****, I want your f****** manager." Click, I hang up on her.
First of all, who has the power here? Does she think that by speaking to me that way she was going to get what she wanted? Heck no! She proceeded to call 3 times after that of which I promptly hung up on her. She didn't call back after that, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Is this a sign of our times? People who do not get their way, call and harass people thinking they have gotten some sort of twisted justice or that they will get what they want? Unbelievable.
Now, I hate to let these kinds of things get to me, but at the same time, how can you not? I am powerless to just not answer the phone because it could be a real customer. Needless to say, my blood pressure was through the roof for awhile there and it took all of my might to calm myself down. Now, I just want to laugh at it all. What kind of a sad person this must be, that harasses someone not only while they are working, but then uses their own personal time to do so. If she were reading this, I would have one thing to say to her:
GET A LIFE!

1 comment:

Jodi Jean said...

ooooo man i hate dealing with people like that. sheesh, she definitely needs to get a life!!

i had someone at my work yell and curse at me and i thought i couldnt hang up (because it was a client) (seriously yelled at me so much it brought ME to tears -- and i'm not a crier) then my boss told me i should have hung up ... sheesh, these people have nothing better to do than harrass people on the phone, and that makes me sad. sorry amanda!!