Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Why I Run

Today was one of those days that I just wanted to throw in the towel. I didn't get enough sleep and didn't have time for breakfast, which led to unhealthy choices, which led to laziness, which led to a bad mood, which led to yelling too much at the kids, which led to me being overwhelmed. I had reached my limit.

I gave the kids a bath and put them in bed, changed clothes and told my hubby I needed to go run. I went outside and just went for it. It wasn't long (1.94 miles) or particularly fast (16 minutes) but it was exactly what I needed. It cleared my head and allowed my emotions to balance themselves out. I came home, showered and cut myself a big bowl of fruit and am now spending the rest of my night with my hubby. I am in a completely different mood and my day doesn't seem so bad anymore.

I started running because I wanted to get to a point where I could say, "Oh, I think I want to go run a few miles" and could just go out and do it. Now I can and it has saved my sanity. It makes me a better mom, a better wife, a better friend and a better human being. Any other benefits are only secondary.

This is why I run.

No comments: